Love grilled leaves in summertime. This grilled slaw recipe is sharp, spicy, and attractively charred. Grilling the dense cabbage gives the slaw a hearty, smoky flavor.
Grilled Cabbage Slaw
- 1 large head of green cabbage, cut through the core into 8 wedges (for grilling)
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4.5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1.5 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 pickled jalapeños, seeded and minced, plus 2 teaspoons pickling liquid from the jar
Light the grill. Brush cabbage wedges with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the cabbage over high heat until charred, about 3 minutes per side. Take off grill.
When the cabbage is cooled, slice it crosswise, finely, with a sharp knife.
In large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, cider vinegar, lemon juice, jalapeños and pickling liquid.
Add the shredded cabbage to mixture and toss. Season the slaw with salt and pepper.