Reboot this cafeteria favorite. This recipe brightens the heavy sandwich with cilantro, and kicks up the beef with jalapeno. We use squash as part of the base and trap the “sloppy” with hoagies instead of burger buns.
Grown Up Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- ½ cup summer squash, diced
- 1.5 teaspoons coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon pickled jalapeno, chopped
- 2 hoagie rolls, split in half
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced thin
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef, breaking apart pieces with a wooden spoon until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Add onion and garlic. Stir and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Ad squash and cook one minute more.
Add pureed tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, Worcestershire and 1 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Stir jalapenos and cilantro into beef mixture. Spoon over bottom halves of hoagie rolls and top with avocado slices.