Be Careful With This Bowl From IKEA, Because It Can Apparently Light Its Contents on Fire

Bryan Brandom
(Photo: Ikea)

Some foods are better served on fire.

Grapes—which lit aflame in a BLANDA BLANK bowl from IKEA, according to Facebook user Richard Walter—are not one of them.

“I saw it was burning in the grape bowl. How is that possible, I thought. Then I saw there was one intense point where (the sun) hit the twigs, and that’s where it started,” Walter told Aftonbladet.

After his fruit caught fire, Walter, whose Facebook account indicates he’s from Stockholm, Sweden, re-created the moment with a piece of paper in the shiny bowl, which reflected sunlight into the center of the bowl to light the sheet on fire.

“We take this information very seriously and will now investigate what happened,”said Emil Eriksson, a spokesperson for the Swedish retail giant.

Eriksson then followed that statement with one to the Local.

“Product safety is always a top priority at Ikea and Ikea products are always tested to comply with applicable standards and legislations,” Eriksson wrote. “In risk assessment for the bowl Blanda it has been established that many different parameters would have to converge for the content of the bowl to overheat and that the risk for this to happen is very low. The round design of the bowl further contributes to a very low risk of spreading, in case of any overheated material in the bowl.”

Share on Twitter

Conversations