Rebecca Burger, a French fitness blogger, died on Sunday from an exploding canister of whipped cream, according to her family.
Burger’s relatives made the announcement on her Instagram account, which has over 200,000 followers.
They also posted a picture of the device that, they claim, exploded and struck her in the chest. According to 60 Million Consumers, a consumer magazine, the violent impact caused a fatal heart attack.
Voici un exemple de siphon à chantilly qui a explosé et percuté le thorax de Rebecca, entraînant son décès. Précision : le siphon qui a engendré sa mort quant à lui été mis sous scellé. N’utilisez pas ce genre d’ustensile chez vous ! Plusieurs dizaines de milliers d’appareils défectueux sont encore en circulation.
Authorities in the city of Mulhouse are investigating whether a faulty siphon in the high-pressure canister is at fault.
Ard’time, the company that made the kitchen product, said the whipped cream canister hadn’t been on the market since February 2013, when they claim the “first incident implicating a siphon” occurred and when the company launched a recall effort to destroy any possibly dangerous canisters.
According to 60 Million Consumers, however, there have been 60 similar reported incidents since 2010, some of which caused lost teeth and broken bones.
“We are up to 60 accidents,” deputy editor Benjamin Douriez told USA Today.
“It is, to our knowledge, the first time there has been a death from such an explosion. … We knew it would happen one day.”
In addition to the open investigation, Burger’s family plans to sue Ard’time.