Baked Beans and Root Beer. Perfect American combo.
Root Beer Baked Beans
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 12oz bottle root beer (look for a brand made with cane sugar, not high-fructose corn syrup)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 Tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 14oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and Pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cook bacon in medium sized oven-safe pot until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, drain with paper towel. Set about a quarter of the bacon aside, for garnish.
Add the onions, garlic and ginger to the pot, and sauté until translucent. Add the tomato paste and cook until paste deepens in color, about one minute.
Add the root beer, cider vinegar, molasses, grainy mustard, and chili powder. Stir to combine. Then add the beans and bacon, and gently stir so as to not crush the beans. Season with salt and pepper.
Put pot in oven, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. The mixture should thicken.
Remove the beans from the oven, let cool slightly, and top with reserved bacon and serve.