So if you’re anything like The Savory team, you may have plans to attend or even host a party this Sunday for TV’s biggest night. Or, as we like to call it, The Awards Show That Shall Not Be Named, But Might Rhyme With “Memmys.”
What it is: Below are ten rules that should be posted throughout the viewing area of your party. The game begins as the award show commences and ends as the final credits roll. Use the downloadable print-out below for your own gathering.
What you need: Plenty of beer and alcohol, at least three friends (but the number of players is limitless), and the number for a cab service.
***The Savory is kind enough to realize that we aren’t all professional drinkers, so you can play this game with beer, a cocktail, or with shots for the veterans. We’ve included recipes for awards cocktails and shots below.***
1. Neil Patrick Harris Sings or Dances: NPH. He’s a hero to most anyone who has eyes. He’s funny, charming, good looking and the man can sing! So if we’re lucky, he will grace us with a few musical numbers during the show.
2. Anyone Makes A Meth Reference: The entire country is talking “Breaking Bad.” Water coolers and social media have become war zones of spoiler alerts. We can only assume that Sunday night will be the same way.
3. Peter Dinklage Looks Bored: Master thespian Peter Dinklage will be a staple at the awards as long as his character survives on HBO’s Game of Thrones, but last year he always seemed to be looking bored out of his gourd. Maybe it’s because he knows he’ll be enduring the same night for years to come. See below for the Tyrion Lannister Shot recipe.
4. There’s a Jon Hamm “Wang Outline” Sighting: Mr. “Mad Men” is known for his lack of wearing anything supportive beneath his pantaloons. If Jon’s ham makes its way to your boob tube, EVERYONE MUST FINISH THEIR DRINK.
5. Anyone Makes a Downton Abbey Jab: Oh BBC, how you bless us with carefully crafted, well-written and incredibly acted programming. So as Americans, we are bound to make fun of it.
6. SNL Cast Member Past/Present: Looking at the list of nominees, you may notice one thing: Lorne Michaels had a big part in launching their careers. The list of “Saturday Night Live” cast members in the nominees group is astounding. ONE DRINK FOR PRESENT MEMBERS, TWO DRINKS FOR ALUMNI.
7. Anyone References Lena Dunham’s Boobs: We love “Girls.” We truly do. But let’s be honest, we have seen Lena’s naked chest-buddies a bit much. We assume she will keep her top on for the awards show, but you never know. IF SHE’S SPOTTED TOPLESS, EVERYONE MUST FINISH THEIR DRINKS.
8. Ty Burell is On Your TV: “Modern Family” may be the best comedy on television in the past 15 years. It is groundbreaking and has a dream cast that truly pulls the show together. But, man, we cannot love Ty Burrell enough. He is just perfect. See below recipe for a Ty Burrell Shot.
9. Anytime a Cast Member of “Arrested Development” or Louis CK is On Camera: Two of our favorite things of 2013 were the return of “Arrested Development” and the Louis CK: Oh My God HBO Special. “We’ve made a huge mistake…”
10. Anytime You See Anthony Bourdain: Anthony Bourdain is nominated! Let us repeat that. Anthony Bourdain is nominated! Nothing is more Savory than Mr. Bourdain. He drinks, he smokes, he curses and he cooks amazing food. Prove your love with a drink.
Here are some drink recipe suggestions for your party from the cool kids at The Savory:
The Television Academy has asked us to let you know that this game has not been approved or sanctioned by the Television Academy, that it is unauthorized by the Television Academy, that the Television Academy is in no way connected to this function and that the Television Academy has no responsibility for it.