We at The Savory like to use the deep fryer whenever possible. PEEPS® presented us with a ‘mallowy holiday challenge: to create a recipe using our choice of special edition holiday Peeps (they do exist, check it out). We chose to behead a few PEEPS®, mush them between a couple graham crackers, deep fry them, and top them with vanilla ice cream. Were they the most gorgeous thing? No. Were they the best s’mores we’d ever had? Yes.
Deep Fried PEEPS® S’mores
(PEEPS® of Choice: Sugar Cookie Dipped in Milk Chocolate)
Makes 18 PEEPS® S’mores
- 12 graham cracker sheets
- 3 segmented chocolate bars
- 18 Sugar Cookies Dipped in Milk Chocolate PEEPS®
The Fry Batter:
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart oil, for frying
1. Break graham crackers into squares and line up 18 squares on microwavable plates (you will have to do this in sets as not all grahams will fit on the same plate at once). Place 2 rectangular chocolate bar pieces on each graham.
2. Melt grahams and chocolate in the microwave for 20 seconds. Take out. Tear the heads off 18 PEEPS® and lay the body of each Peep on top of chocolate (the Sugar Cookie Dipped in Milk Chocolate PEEPS® are a perfect flat oval size and taking the heads off makes them less bulky). Microwave for 15 seconds more. Top melted PEEPS® with another graham cracker square and lightly smush. Refrigerate S’mores until melted chocolate is firm.
3. Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees.
4. While you wait for the chocolate to set, make the batter. Whisk together the egg, oil and milk in a bowl. In a separate medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix, whisking everything together until a smooth batter is formed.
5. Once oil is at 375 F (this should take 20-30 minutes to heat), take PEEPS® S’mores out of the fridge and dip one by one into the batter, turning the S’more until it is completely covered. Gently drop into the oil. Fry 3 at a time.
6. Fry them for about 2 minutes total until puffed and golden brown. Flip if necessary so they cook evenly on all sides. Remove them from the oil using the frying skimmer and place them on a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the S’mores and batter. *Make sure to keep the oil hot. If the oil isn’t hot enough and they take too long, the Peeps marshmallow will melt away. A short, fast cooking time is much more ideal for that crunchy outside and intact gooey inside.
7. Top Deep Fried Sugar Cookie Dipped in Milk Chocolate PEEPS® S’mores with vanilla ice cream. Take the leftover PEEPS®’ heads and place atop the ice cream. Serve immediately.