Roses are red and violets are blue.
Lets spice up our night and do something new.
The Savory has you covered with the tools you need to create a spicy Valentines Day. We recently teamed up with Chef Chanel Martinez, Chef Instructor at Le Cordon Bleu, to whip up some of her original aphrodisiac recipes. The word Aphrodisiac comes from the name of the Greek Goddess of love, Aphrodite. Aphrodisiac foods have been known to stimulate blood flow all the way down to your sexy parts.
The recipes below include ingredients that are considered aphrodisiacs: cayenne pepper, pomegranate seeds, figs, honey and jalapeno. Each one is rich with flavor, savory and has just the right amount of heat.
Spicy Chocolate Mousse
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 5 ea. egg yolks
- 1 ea. whole egg
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp. ground cayenne
- 3 oz. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. corn syrup
- Water as needed (to wet all of the sugar)
- 13 oz. heavy whipping cream
- Pomegranate seeds to garnish
- Melt chocolate over a water bath and keep it warm.
- Whip cream with cinnamon and cayenne. Set aside two tablespoons for garnish.
- To make egg mixture, place egg and yolks in a mixer with the whip attachment to a thick ribbon stage.
- In a saucepot, cook the sugar with the corn syrup and water to 240°F.
- Pour sugar into whipping eggs until mixture is pale yellow and very thick. It will feel cool to touch.
- Fold in melted chocolate into egg mixture quickly.
- Fold in heavy cream.
- Pipe in shot glasses and garnish with whipped cream and pomegranate seeds
Roasted Figs with Honey
- 8 fresh figs, cut in half
- 2 oz. prosciutto, cut into thin ribbons
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 2 oz. honey
- 2 oz. pine nuts
- Thyme leaves to garnish
- Olive oil as needed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss halved figs in olive oil.
- On a sheet tray, place figs cut side up. Drizzle each fig with honey and bake until slightly caramelized.
- On a separate sheet pan, place pine nuts and bake until golden brown.
- In a sauté pan, add olive oil to coat bottom of pan and crisp up ribbons of prosciutto.
- To finish, place a teaspoon of goat cheese on each fig half and top with crispy prosciutto and toasted pine nuts.
- Add a drizzle of honey and fresh thyme leaves to garnish.
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Spritzer
- 4 oz. Jalapeno infused vodka
- 2 oz. strawberry puree
- 6-8 oz. seltzer water
- 1 oz. jalapeno salt (for rim)
- 1 oz. sugar (for rim)
- 6-8 mint Leaves
- 1 fresh red jalapeno
- Rim glass with a mix of sugar and Jalapeno salt.
- Place one ounce of Strawberry Puree in each glass.
- Add two ounces jalapeno-infused vodka.
- Add three to four mint leaves.
- Top with Selzter water and ice.
- Garnish with fresh slices of red jalapeno.