Japanese Supermarket Accidentally Sells Poisonous Blowfish, Everyone Is Freaking Out

By 

(Photo: A Japanese supermarket sold poisonous blowfish)

Though it’s considered a delicacy to some, eating fugu can actually lead to some incredibly negative consequences, and the people of Japan are feeling that recently. Why? Because a Japanese supermarket sold poisonous blowfish to their customers and a severe recall is in effect.

The blowfish, known as fugu, can be severely dangerous if people eat it and the liver is not removed. What makes the liver so dangerous? It can contain a potent neurotoxin, which can lead to intensely severe health consequences.

“Eating fugu liver can paralyze motor nerves, and in a serious case cause respiratory arrest leading to death,” local health officials said in a statement after realizing the containers had been sold to the public. “We are calling for residents to avoid eating fugu.”

Though the fish is a delicacy, its skin, liver, and even ovaries contain the poison tetrodotoxin and the parts must be removed by specially trained and licensed preparers. What’s worse — there is no known cure or antidote to the poison.

Only five of the packages containing the liver were sold, reportedly, and three have been located and confiscated. The other two remain at large. Here’s hoping no one ate them already, and that they are located and returned immediately.