When surgeons found hundreds of dollars worth of coins and nails in a man’s stomach, they had no idea how to react. They were operating on him assuming it was just a rudimentary stomach bug, but once they started looking at the x-rays, they found out it was something much stranger.
When the man arrived to the hospital, he told doctors that he suspected it was food poisoning, but instead, doctors found 263 coins and 100 nails in his stomach. That’s some serious food poisoning! The 35-year-old patient, Maksud Khan, was immediately put in surgery.
The doctors at Sanjay Gandhi Hospital in Satna, Madhya Pradesh, India not only found the coins and nails, they also found dozens of shaving blades, shards of glass, stones, and a 6-inch piece of rusted iron shackle.
“This man looks mentally unstable as no sane person would do something like this,” said Dr. Priyank Sharma, the surgeon who led the operation.
The doctors said that Khan worked as a three-wheeler driver and would swallow the coins his customers left him as tips. “Whenever he felt the urge to ingest a coin, he ingested it with water,” said a family member.
Luckily the surgery was performed in time and Khan avoided having nails pierce his stomach and causing internal bleeding. Maybe next time, just don’t swallow nails and other metal objects though.