A week after Floyd Mayweather stepped into an octagon to tease fight fans with the notion of a second battle with Conor McGregor, UFC president Dana White said that’s the only path to a Mayweather–McGregor rematch: the boxer’s stepping into the octagon.
“Obviously, the only way making that fight again makes any sense is if he comes over to the octagon,” White told “UFC Tonight” on Wednesday. “We went over and boxed him, the UFC and Conor McGregor. And now it’s time for him to reciprocate and come fight in the octagon. … Floyd said leading up to the fight with Conor that he would do both. So we’ll see what happens.”
As was the case with their August 2017 boxing match, a Mayweather victory, the prospect of a Mayweather–McGregor rematch in the octagon has gradually grown more and more realistic.
In December, White called the bout a “realistic possibility.”
Earlier this week, Gareth A. Davies, a boxing writer for the Telegraph, told talkSPORT a rematch is in the works “in the background.”
“My soundings are that there are a lot of talks going on in the background, there are a lot of talks around people with Mayweather,” Davis said.
“There are a lot of talks about him potentially having an MMA fight with Conor McGregor.
“Conor McGregor had no chance in a boxing match with Floyd Mayweather.
“People will tune in to see Mayweather get stopped by Conor McGregor and it won’t affect his boxing record.
“I think it’s going to happen and I think it will be a three, four, five hundred million dollar fight again.”