Georges St-Pierre Is Open To Fighting Conor McGregor

Bryan Brandom
(Photo: Getty Images)

After four years away from the sport, Georges St-Pierre returned to the UFC in stunning, exacting fashion, choking out Michael Bisping at UFC 217 for the middleweight title in his weight-class debut.

While the 36-year-old is contractually obligated to battle interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker in a unification bout next, GSP recently told The MMA Hour that he’s not sure if that fight excites him. He also told TMZ he’s entertaining the idea of fighting Conor McGregor.

“I’m not saying no to anything,” he said when asked about the possibility of GSP–McGregor. “I just look at the options and see what’s the best.”

Ultimately, he put the ball in the promotion’s court: “It’s up to UFC, they know what is the best for the company.”

Earlier in the week, UFC commissioner Dana White wouldn’t rule out a fight between arguably the sport’s two biggest stars, but expressed doubt to due the gap in their masses.

“I never say never, but he ways 185 and Conor weighs 155,” White said, adding, “Conor would take any fight.”

Despite the 30-pound disparity, the possibility of GSP–McGregor is very real.

GSP has said he moved up to middleweight to fight Bisping for “the challenge,” but appears ready to shift back down to welterweight, the division he sat atop for over six years before voluntarily vacating the throne in 2013.

“People don’t really know what happened. I was forcing myself to eat like crazy, like six times a day,” St-Pierre said of his grueling attempt to add weight.

The fighter’s boxing coach, Freddie Roach, told The MMA Hour on Monday that he’d like to see GSP move back down to the familiar welterweight division.

“I think I would like to go to the lower weight division, back to the weight that he’s more comfortable with and more used to,” Roach said. “But the thing is, that might not be available at this point. We do need to work that out with the promoter. One thing about UFC, usually what they say goes. Conor McGregor wants to be the boss now, wants to be the promoter or co-promoter, from what I’ve read about him and so forth. But he does have the contract and I’m sure he has to follow it like everyone else.”

McGregor has already fought in the welterweight division twice, in his bouts with Nate Diaz

GSP and Diaz are entirely different animals, but like White said, Conor will take any fight

Share on Twitter

Conversations